A digital torque wrench is not like any regular torque wrench. They are much more efficient, reliable and have the potential of making whatever project you’re working on a lot more interesting.
However, not all digital wrenches are made the same. This article will be comparing some of the options in the digital torque wrench market intending to determine which is best.
ACDelco ARM601-3 3/8” (3.7 to 37 ft-lbs.) Digital Torque Wrench with Buzzer and LED Flash Notification – ISO 6789 Standards with Certificate of Calibration
Mini Digital Torque Wrench,1/4-inch Drive with Buzzer & LED, 0.66-22.12 ft-lbs(0.9-30 Nm)(8-265 inch pound),4rd New Gen High Precision Electronic Torque Wrenches Bike Car Repairing Tool Calibrated
Best Digital Torque Wrench Reviews
This ACDelco is built to create the best line of electronic torque wrenches for professionals. It is aimed at professionals that need that extra bit of precision when fastening bolts and nuts. The company behind the ACDelco aims to create the highest quality wrenches; as such the company insists on using the best materials. It then proceeds to the calibration process creating the best possible product.
- Has an easy-to-read display
- Features advanced technology that allows delivery of about 2 foot-pounds of torque to a max torque of 37 foot-pounds
- Features an LED flashing light and a buzzer alarm that alerts the user when the target torque has been met
- The wrench has several mode settings to give the user greater versatility
- Has a high accuracy level with a margin error of about 1.5%
- Comes in a wide variety of torque ranges to fit every application working with torque ranges as low as 1.1 ft-lbs to as high as 738 ft-lbs
What We Like
We like it has an adequately large display for important information during fastening. This makes the digital torque wrench easier to use. From the digital display, you can set the torque level you require to prevent under or over-tightening.
The torque wrench features LED lights and a buzzer. Once the torque limit has been reached, the LED lights will begin to flash while the buzzer goes off and starts to buzz. This is to alert you that your torque requirement has been met and the wrench will then proceed to overtighten it.
The digital torque wrench is reliable primarily due to the high degree of accuracy it can achieve. The wrench has a high degree of accuracy with a slight margin of error of 1.5%. This makes it very popular among professionals who appreciate any extra bit of precision.
The wrench is built with an emphasis on precision as it is built with professionals in mind. To enhance the level of precision, the company has made significant efforts to ensure they source the best quality materials. When the sturdy materials are merged with the high calibration, efforts should also contribute to the high levels of precision.
Much thought went into making this digital torque wrench as convenient as possible. For instance, in addition to the calibration mode feature, it also comes with angle measuring. Moreover, it provides versatility for a wide range of applications. It can handle workloads of 1.1 ft-lbs and go up to as high as 738 ft-lbs.
Another excellent aspect of its versatility is that it can handle various bolts due to the adapters that allow it to accommodate different sizes. These head sizes include 1/4, 1/2, 3/8, 3/4, and one-inch.
What We Don’t Like
The software that runs the digital torque is a bit buggy. This results in regular crashes on the display of the tool. This makes it significantly harder to use and can cause frustration.
- Large, easy to read digital display
- The torque wrench is capable of a high degree of accuracy
- Features LEDs and a buzzer to alert you of over-tightening
- Can operate over a large torque range about 2 foot-pounds to about 37
- Meets all the major quality assurance checks
- Buggy software on display
Yellow Jacket 60648 Digital Adjustable Torque Wrench
This is a high-end torque wrench designed with the latest technology in mind enabling it to capture, record, and display torque measurement units in real-time. This has the effect of giving the users an improved level of accuracy and control. This technology theming extends deep with a great digital display to monitor torque levels as it is used.
- Has an adjustable spanner head allowing for versatility in the type of fasteners you can use
- Features a large digital display monitoring the torque of the machine in real-time in the primary scale and secondary scale
- The wrench is very accurate giving readings with a margin of error of about +/- 2%
- Features LED lights and buzzers that will alert you when you have exceeded the required torque
- Has an auto-sleep feature that saves on power when the wrench is not in use
- Features innovations in torque measurement in foot-pound and Newton-meter at the same time
What We Like
We like how accurate the torque wrench is. Since it is calibrated at the factory, it maintains its accuracy throughout its life. This also makes it durable going on for years while maintaining a high degree of accuracy with a small margin of error of 2 percent. Moreover, the torque wrench displays the torque calibrations in real-time, thus giving you more control and awareness of your accuracy.
We also like the LED lights and the buzzer to alert you when there is a risk of overtightening. As you get past the recommended torque, the LED lights will start flashing as the buzzer goes off. Overtightening the fasteners could damage them making them less reliable.
The auto sleep feature is a favorite of ours. Digital torque wrenches need the power to run since they are electronic. Having an auto-sleep feature helps conserve power when not in use, adding to its reliability.
Convenience is another aspect that was well factored in this torque wrench. It comes with nine preset values making it easier for you to switch between them whenever you set up the torque wrench for a job. The indicator lights also progressively increase as you approach your torque limit.
The digital wrench comes with its own hard case storage box to keep it safe when storing it or when you take it to your work site. The head is adjustable, meaning it can easily accommodate various head sizes. Finally, this wrench comes with a water contact indicator to warn you whenever your wrench is exposed to moisture.
What We Don’t Like
The torque wrench can be too sensitive. When handled roughly, the torque tends to come apart or display wrong measurements. It takes a lot to care for the wrench so it does not come apart.
- Has a large readable digital display
- Save power through the auto sleep feature
- Has a buzzer to alert on overtightening
- Very accurate
- Has a wider torque range
- The wrench is too sensitive
CRAFTSMAN Digital Torque Wrench
This torque wrench is built on convenience, which is evident by its capacity to convert the torque units from foot-pound to inch-pound to the metric unit Newton-meter (N.m) on its secondary scale. This convenience is further elevated by the backlit LED display on the wrench. This click-style torque wrench allows the user to easily monitor the amount of torque the wrench will be giving out.
- The torque wrench is capable of making quick changes in torque measurements. With a tap of a button, you can quickly change the units from foot-pound to Newton-meter. This makes it even more convenient as anybody can make use of it.
- The ½ torque wrench can easily be identified thanks to its quick tool identification system. This allows the user to quickly seek out the tool they need just when they need it.
- The torque wrench meets the expectations of the standards set up by ESME.
- Features a relatively large LED-backlit screen that makes it easier to read and use.
- Has an ergonomic grip handle design to be as comfortable as possible. It also generates enough grip which makes the torque wrench a lot more comfortable.
- The CRAFTSMAN digital torque wrench features a click style. This style lends itself better to repairing small engines such as motorcycles and ATVs.
What We Like
You can change the units of measurement in real-time. We like that professionals can take this torque wrench with them wherever they go. This adds an extra layer of convenience as they can take on projects anywhere regardless of location.
The LED-backlit screen makes the torque gain a lot more utility. Since it is backlit the users can use it at night while being completely able to monitor the amounts of torque it can dish out. It makes the torque wrench easier to read and consequently easier to use.
The Click style the digital torque wrench is built on. It makes it so much easier to use on smaller engines like motorcycles and ATVs. This adds a greater level of convenience to the torque wrench as it opens up other pieces of equipment it can work on.
What We Don’t Like
The manual that comes in the box explaining the digital features is wanting. It is quite obtuse making it difficult to understand. As such, using the tool can be very frustrating especially when you cannot figure it out.
- Has a greater level of convenience thanks to the click style design
- Features a quick tool identification system which makes it easier to use
- Has a large backlit display with measurements to helps monitor the torque level
- Quick proper torque changes allow the torque to switch from foot-pounds to Newton-meter on the fly
- Comfortable due to the handling and great grip
- Has a wide foot-pounds torque range
- Has a difficult to understand manual
Mini Digital Torque Wrench
This wrench is designed to be small enough to carry around and use wherever the user goes. It lends itself to a variety of applications from bicycle repair, automotive repair, and various DIY home improvement projects. It is even more convenient thanks to the elimination of possible risks of over-tightening or under-tightening.
- Features a small form factor design which makes it easy to carry around
- Has a relatively large LCD display that measures torque in real-time
- The wrench is capable of holding memory, enabling you to program in your torque requirements
- Features LED lights and a buzzer that goes off after you have exceeded the Lbs torque range requirements
- The wrench is built from high-quality materials like steel and high-quality plastic
- It is calibrated at the factory with no need for maintenance. This makes it durable while enhancing the overall accuracy of the digital torque wrench
What We Like
The compact design of the wrench means it is small enough to squeeze into small spaces, making it easier to lug around. Its small size also lends it to being used in small spaces where larger torque applications cannot be used.
The wrench is built from high-quality materials. This gives it a great premium look and feel that most people will appreciate. The high-quality materials also contribute to its functionality allowing for great torque multipliers.
We like the feedback the wrench is capable of delivering. The most obvious mode is the large LCD display that shows the level of torque being delivered in real-time. The buzzer and LED lights also give great haptic feedback and audible feedback respectively when you have exceeded the required amount of torque.
What We Don’t Like
It features a lot of extra technological features but does little to explain what they do. A lot of the extra features are not useful which makes the experience feel bloated. This makes the user experience quite frustrating.
- Has a small compact design
- Features a large, easy to read backlit LCD screen
- Passes ISO certification for quality
- Made from high-quality materials
- Has an audible buzzer and LED lights to warn for over-tightening
- Bloated with features
GEARWRENCH 1/2 Inch Drive Torque Wrench
This digital torque wrench comes from a company that utilizes the latest technologies to ensure the excellent tool measures up in quality, convenience, and productivity. It is designed to solve very particular problems; this is illustrated by the wrench meant for wheel nuts. It has a rubber cover on its flex head meant to check the wheel nuts to ensure precision in its approach.
- The wrench features a torque alert that will let the user know when the target level of torque has been achieved
- The handle is resistant to oil and other similar solvents keeping it free from damage
- Features a scale that can convert the units from foot-pound to Newton-meter
- Has a tooth ratchet mechanism that has a 5-degree arc that allows it to turn the fasteners even in constrained spaces
- The wrench is calibrated at the factory with no need for maintenance
What We Like
The wrench features a tooth ratchet mechanism that allows for the fastener to make a very tight arc of about 5 degrees. This allows the wrench to work in tight spaces when tightening bolts, nuts, and screws. This makes the wrench much more effective as it can get at hard-to-reach places other wrenches cannot.
The wrench has a certificate of calibration from the factory. This enhances its accuracy as it does not diminish after each use as would be the case with traditional torque wrenches. This has the effect of enhancing its durability as its settings do not have to be tampered with from time to time as is the case with analog torque wrenches.
What We Don’t Like
The battery drains rather quickly. This is particularly the case when it is stored in a relatively warm room. This affects its reliability as you could pick it up only for the digital torque wrench to not startup.
- Accurate due to the calibration being done at the factory
- The handle is resistant to solvents which keeps your hands safe
- Features an alert that lets users know when their torque requirements have been met allowing for accurate torque
- Has a scale that can convert the foot-pound into the metric equivalent across the measuring range
- Features a torque mechanism that allows for a 5-degree arc allowing movement on constrained spaces
- The battery drains quite quickly
Many types of torque wrenches are available from many brands today. Since each product claims to be the best suited for your needs, it can be difficult to decide which product is the most ideal.
The key three things to consider in digital torque wrenches are torque accuracy, their rachet design, and ergonomics. Here is a guide explaining these factors and how they can help you navigate all the types of digital torque wrenches.
When using a torque wrench, accuracy is the most important factor to look out for. Digital torque wrenches are typically a lot more accurate when compared to their analog counterparts. Digital torque wrenches are calibrated at the factory to handle particular pounds of torque.
Unlike analog torque wrenches, digital variants do not have to be regularly calibrated and maintained as often as their analog counterparts. Since it’s not tampered with it can maintain its accuracy for a lot longer regardless of the torque setting range. Digital torque wrenches have increasingly become more common among professionals for this very reason.
The Ratchet Design
The ratchet head is used to maintain a level of torque as you increase the overall amount of torque. Wrenches that have a ratchet can hold their torque as you rotate the handle and consequently add more torque. Typically, torque wrenches with a ratchet tend to be electronic or are of the click type variety.
You should make note of the swing arc the racket can manage. This will determine the usefulness of the torque wrench, especially in small spaces. With a wrench with the right racket, you can squeeze into the small spaces and work a fastener. Wrenches with a 72-tooth ratchet mechanism have the greatest versatility in how you can work with a wide range of torque.
Ergonomics cannot be ignored when dealing with a tool that requires effort from the user to work. Comfort is an important feature for the usability of the torque wrench. The design including the length, grip, and size of the shaft all contribute greatly to the overall comfort of a torque wrench. Ensure you pick the most appropriate wrench from the size option to maximize comfort.
The greater the leverage, the greater amount of torque without the need for extra effort. A good non-slip grip will make it easier and consequently safer to use. When the wrench eventually gets covered in motor oil and grease, using a specially designed ergonomic grip will make it that much easier to use.T
Tips on How to Use Digital Torgue Wrenches
Once you’ve bought your digital torque wrench, there are a few key things that you should note when it comes to using it. Learning how to use your torque wrench properly is quite easy, and it minimizes the risk of breakage while improving its service lifespan. If you’ve never used a digital torque wrench before, follow the steps outlined below:
1. Press the power button to switch on the digital torque wrench
2. Next, use the adjustment buttons to set the torque limit
3. Take your wrench and place it firmly on the bolt or socket that you would like to tighten
4. Move your wrench up and down as you tighten the bolt until you achieve your desired torque limit. Most digital torque wrenches will alert you by causing the LED display to start blinking, or they may start making a beeping sound.
5. If your wrench has a memory feature that allows the setting of various limits, do so to ease your settings whenever you change bolts, nuts or sockets.
Other than knowing how to use your torque wrench, there are other important things you should be aware of.
For starters, all digital torque wrenches come with a specified torque rating from the manufacturer. Therefore, you should ensure that you use it to tighten the right kind of bolts and sockets. Straining it too much can cause it to break or fail to work as intended.
Torque wrenches come with different heads. The most common sizes include 1/2-, 3/8- and 1/4-inch wrenches. Ensure you pick one that best fits the kind of bolts and nuts you deal with frequently. Also, some of the digital torque wrenches come with a digital torque adapter to allow you to use them on other sockets.
Storing your digital torque wrench properly is fundamental in ensuring its longevity. Due to their delicate nature, heat and cold can easily affect most wrenches. They, therefore, come with their hard-shell
The market for digital torque wrenches is not short of options. The GEARWRENCH ½ inch Drive is the best digital torque wrench for those looking for great performance. It outperformed expectations in almost all key features we tested for. It also had a wide torque range that enhances its versatility.
The Mini Digital torque wrench on the other hand carves out its niche by being the most compact. Its small form factor makes it a favorite among professionals on the move. It is very much like the CRAFTSMAN digital torque in that it can find a lot of use when working on small engines. It also takes the cake for the best budget torque wrench.